Inspired by Why Metapost discrimination?, I'd like to come to know Metapost far better than I do now. All I really know is that Metapost is a language for describing graphics, and Metafont is used specifically for describing fonts.
So what is Metapost/Metafont?
- do Metafont/Metapost have similar syntax, as the names would suggest?
- are the tools to work with and compile them included in the popular TeX distributions?
- is there anything like a 'Hello World' for these systems? (Various examples with Metapost can be found throughout the site, but not so much Metafont, it seems.)
- can pdfTeX use fonts created with Metafont without too much hassle?
- (same for Metapost, but it would seem that the multiple examples on this site speak for themselves)