TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Update: I upgraded to TeX Live 2013 and things have gotten slightly worse, see end of post for details.

I have Garamond Premier Pro and I'm trying to make sure my documents use all the appropriate optical sizes. They work fully when using XeLaTeX but the display font is not being used in LuaLaTeX but for various reasons I have to use LuaLaTeX in all my projects. Here's the MWE:

\setmainfont{Garamond Premier Pro}
{\tiny tiny}\\
{\normalsize normal}\\
{\Huge Huge}\\

When I run it with XeLaTeX and look at the embedded fonts I get:


When I run it with LuaLaTeX:


Notice the display font is not listed and is not being used (though the text displays at the correct size, just not using the Garamond display font).

I thought I would try to force the issue with this

]{Garamond Premier Pro}
{\tiny tiny}\\
{\normalsize normal}\\
{\Huge Huge}\\

But when I run this in either LuaLaTeX or XeLaTeX I get the following error:

! LaTeX Error: Font EU2/GaramondPremierPro(0)/m/n/10 not found.

I have no idea what that means or if I've even gotten the syntax correct for specifying sizes like that.

So in the end I seem unable to get the display size in Garamond with LuaLaTeX.

As a side note, if instead of {Garamond Premier Pro} I use {GaramondPremrPro.otf} then none of the other optical sizes are loaded with either XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX.

I'm using TeX Live 2012 and whatever versions of LuaTeX and XeTeX come with that.

Update I managed to upgrade to the vanilla TeX Live 2013 installation (just barely) and the problem has gotten slightly worse. XeLaTeX still uses all the appropriate sizes but now LuaLaTeX doesn't use any of them. It only uses the main size font and ignores the rest.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Heiko Oberdiek, Werner, cmhughes, Torbjørn T., Claudio Fiandrino Jun 22 '13 at 19:11

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I suggest you report this to luaotfload developers directly, it is simply a bug. – Khaled Hosny Jun 22 '13 at 2:17
That’s an oversight. The fonts should resolve correctly if you add \directlua{ config = { luaotfload = { resolver = "normal" } } } just before loading fontspec. (Font resolving will become marginally slower, though.) – Philipp Gesang Jun 22 '13 at 9:42
Fixed in the dev version. – Philipp Gesang Jun 22 '13 at 10:08
@phg I added the line as you say and it does get me back to the state of the original question which means that the display font is still not being utilized (though the caption and subheading ones are). XeLaTeX compiles as it should using the display font size. I'm still trying to compile the dev version but it's going slowly. – bfootdav Jun 22 '13 at 13:53
@bfootdav with the current version (I modified the style synonyms table just now) I get this result: <i.imgur.com/s72VwFT.png>;. luaotfload resolves the same files as xetex. Btw. you don’t exactly have to compile anything in order to update luaotfload. Get the souces, run make tds, and extract the zipfile into your texmf. – Philipp Gesang Jun 22 '13 at 14:41