TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In many journals it is said to maintain "81/2-by-11 double-spaced typed pages". This means how many inch margin? That is what is the value of x in \usepackage[margin=xin]{geometry}?

share|improve this question
One would assume here that they don't mean to cover the entire 8.5 x 11in page in text. Using \usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry} is mostly sufficient, since they may eventually change it to conform to their publication standards anyway. – Werner Jul 10 '13 at 20:56
up vote 5 down vote accepted

if a journal requires "double-spaced typed pages" it is a certainty that they will reformat it for publication. as Werner says in his comment, 1in margins should be satisfactory in that situation. if they want something closer to their published format, they should provide an author package.

however, be careful to keep any display math narrower than the published page width, using multi-line display environments if necessary (cf. amsmath).

reformatting math to fit within "smaller" journal page dimensions can end up introducing errors, never mind causing real headaches for production editors, even if the final conversion is tex-to-tex.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.