TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sorry, I don't know the name of this typographic effect, it's been years since I read The Elements of Typographic Style. This is more than kerning. I'm referring to the "tail" of the N going under the following letters. Or is it a particular font with this feature?

alt text

The image is from page 2 of http://www.tsengbooks.com/images/6176s.pdf

I'll update the question if I learn the proper typographical term.

Thank you.

Update: as Lev Bishop indicated, the effect is called swash (wikipedia)

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

It's a feature of the font. You can see the same thing with the Q in the 'swash' style of Minion Pro. Eg.,

share|improve this answer
You don't need any special engine. As I showed above, the MinionPro package sets up a swash style (accessed by \textsw{}) for the MinionPro fonts, even with latex or pdflatex. – Lev Bishop Aug 8 '10 at 14:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.