TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In some books, they use a special 'i' for denoting imbedding of one Sobolev space into a another.

This 'i' is not quite like \imath.
It's like a calligraphic 'i'.

I try to find it with detexify, but it doesn't come out.
It looks like this
imbedding i

share|improve this question
do you have an image anywhere? – David Carlisle Oct 20 '13 at 13:42
@DavidCarlisle Unfortunately no. – Nicolas Essis-Breton Oct 20 '13 at 13:57
draw it on paper and upload a pic, you need to give some hint, just saying it doesn't look like \imath leaves the question a bit open;-) – David Carlisle Oct 20 '13 at 14:03
Try \i, which removes the dot above a regular i. – Werner Oct 20 '13 at 14:42
It may be helpful to take a picture of the physical symbol you need; as it stands from the picture, \imath really does seem like what you want. – Sean Allred Oct 20 '13 at 15:15
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I'd have thought iota as Michael just said, but your drawing looks more like imath to me

enter image description here




share|improve this answer

A common notation for imbeddings is the greek \iota as in $\iota$. Does it match the symbol you are looking for?

share|improve this answer
Yes, it's \iota. Thanks. – Nicolas Essis-Breton Oct 20 '13 at 15:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.