TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does anybody know if there is a "mirror" tilde accent command in any package? That is, the "wiggling" of the tilde accent going in the other direction.

Something like defining this \backtilde command:


but not quite. The kerning, sizes, etc... are not the same as with the \tilde{} command.

Related to this: a mirror version of the \vec{} accentuation.

share|improve this question
Welcome to TeX.SX! A tip: If you indent lines by 4 spaces, they'll be marked as a code sample. You can also highlight the code and click the "code" button (with {} on it). Finally, you can also use backticks ` to mark your inline code as I did in my edit. – Adam Liter Oct 28 '13 at 15:03

The accents package turns out to be useful:





enter image description here

share|improve this answer
That's it! Thanks! – Andres Oct 28 '13 at 15:52
You might want to accept this (or another) answer by clicking the check mark next to the up/down voting buttons. – ojdo Oct 28 '13 at 16:08

Try \backsim from the amssymb package. See the image below

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
I did. This is the command I proposed within my question, but the results are not equivalent. – Andres Oct 28 '13 at 15:10
Oh, sorry. What do you mean by other direction? – Sigur Oct 28 '13 at 15:11
The direction is OK, is just if you compare putting a \overset{\backsim}{A} with \tilde{A} you will see the difference. – Andres Oct 28 '13 at 15:13

You can scale your backsim like this:






Still not totally the same, but it could be used as workaround...

share|improve this answer
It does look better. Thanks. – Andres Oct 28 '13 at 15:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.