sbl-latex repo on github is owned by Robert Fisher. It uses a
.bst file to compile the bibliography. it is very sophisticated and outputs really nice documents. I don't think it is still under active development.
However, when I wrote my thesis, I found a few things about it that I couldn't change easily, so I looked around and tried to find something a little more flexible for my own purposes. I ended up writing a class that extended the article class with minimal changes and packages. I used the CMS
biblatex package for the bibliography and rely on
Xelatex for unicode font support.
sblhs-latex are completely unrelated.
I am not a developer, but this produced a decent looking thesis for me. Pull requests are welcomed. I'd really like to see others to contribute to this to provide a clean working class/style for SBLHS, particularly since there will likely be an SBLHS revision in the next few years.