TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm making a document that has 3 columns, but I've noticed that the text spreads over all three columns as I'm typing the document. If anyone is familiar with how multicolumn works in Microsoft Word (or whatever word processor Microsoft uses now), it fills the the text one column at a time. I was wondering if there was a package or some code I could use to get my text to fill this way. This mechanism is okay if I plan to use to whole page, but if my text doesn't take up the whole page, then I have half of my sentence in one column and the other in the 2nd/3rd column. I tried Googling and got zilch. Perhaps my search parameters needed to be more generalized, but I would really appreciate if anyone who understands what I mean can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance!

share|improve this question
Can you provide a minimal workinge example (tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl) so that we can see what you have at present and better understand what you're trying to describe? – Edd Apr 4 '11 at 10:05
up vote 10 down vote accepted

The multicol package should solve this problem




the *-version diables the balancing

Just for comparison, the version without * gives: enter image description here

And the version with star results in:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
I am using multicol and I will use this. Thanks! – Halime Apr 4 '11 at 10:18

It is not forbidden to read the documentation ... Use the star version multicols* instead.

share|improve this answer
Sorry, I'm still getting to grips w/LaTeX. I forgot about the documentation... – Halime Apr 4 '11 at 10:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.