TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to typeset a table indicating various kinds of $\subset$ relations for objects in a grid. Is there a way to obtain a subset symbol that applies vertically, between objects where one is above the other? Detexify doesn't seem to have a symbol like this, although there are many vertical arrow-like objects in the Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List.

This can be done by drawing a picture (e.g. with TiKZ or Xy-pic), or one could apply a rotation somehow to a standard "horizontal" symbol. I would be happy with a solution that only worked with PDF files.

Is there a "best practice" for rotating individual symbols?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The graphics package also lets you rotate boxes, as explained in Section 7.2 of Lamport's LaTeX: A document preparation system. You use \rotatebox{x}{text}, where x is a specified angle in the positive (counterclockwise) direction with the "positive x-axis", which extends horizontally from the basepoint of the box that contains text.

share|improve this answer

A quick way: you could use \cap and \cup.

For rotating I would use \rotatebox of the graphicx package.

share|improve this answer
Unfortunately I need subset-like symbols, like \sqsubseteq and \subsetneq. I'll take a look at \rotatebox. – András Salamon Aug 10 '10 at 18:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.