TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a package which allows to typeset dimensional tolerances as used in mechanical engineering like:
Example for engineering dimensional tolerances?

I have to use them in the text and wonder how to do that best. So I'm searching for a package which can

  • correctly typeset the upper and lower limits
    (also in combination with length units! I admit that I'm not sure how to do that the best way.)
  • also makes available the symbols for form tolerances like roundness, cylindricity, straightness, etc.
share|improve this question
Have a look at “How to look up a math symbol?” for ideas how you can easily find a particular symbol. – Martin Scharrer Apr 13 '11 at 10:23
Tolerances have been drawn here: [tex.stackexchange.com/a/53478/32245] – LaRiFaRi Jul 19 '13 at 15:05
@LaRiFaRi: Thank you very much for the link! – MostlyHarmless Jul 19 '13 at 21:00

You should use the siunitx package to format all your numbers and units. The symbol can be drawn using \diameter from the wasysym package and the tolerances are simple math super- and subscripts:












share|improve this answer
I think the tolerances need to be in scriptscriptsize. – Charles Stewart Apr 13 '11 at 10:13
This is a mixed bag question of normal as well as Geometric tolerances . I think it is more a job for TikZ – Danie Els Apr 13 '11 at 10:19
In technical drawings, the tolerances are set on size smaller than the target measure. From that point of view, scriptsize is ok. – Christoph Apr 13 '11 at 10:39

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.