This procedure will set up Emacs, AUCTeX, and the Okular viewer to handle integrated forward and inverse search. (These instructions were made on a Debian system.)
Install Emacs 23+.
To install Emacs 23, open up the terminal and type the command:
sudo apt-get install emacs23
Within Emacs, run
M-x package install RET auctex RET.
To test for a successful installation, just open up a
.tex file Emacs with and
you will see new menus concerning LaTeX.
sudo apt-get install okular
If not already done, open a tex file with emacs.
- In the LaTeX menu, go to "Customize AUCTeX" and click on "Extend this menu".
- Then go again to LaTeX, "Customize AUCTeX", go to the "Tex Command" submenu and click on the included "Tex command" item.
From within Emacs, run
M-x customize-group RET TeX-command RET
You are now in the "Tex command group" configuration buffer.
Scroll down until you reach "Tex Pdf Mode".
Its value is off (nil); click on the "Toggle" button to activate this mode.
Click on the "State" button and select "Save for Future Sessions".
AUCTeX will now compile your TeX file using
You should see something like this:
For the "Save for Future Sessions",
the button with the green down arrow can also be selected.
When this is done, your
.emacs will be updated accordingly.
Still in the "Tex command group" configuration buffer,
scroll all the way down and click on the special item called "Tex View".
In the "Tex view group" buffer, you have two things to do:
- activate the correlate mode between the PDF and the TeX file, and
- declare a PDF viewer which can read these correlations.
To activate the correlate mode:
- item "Tex Source Correlate Method", click on the "Value Menu" button and select "synctex" and save for future sessions,
- item "Tex Source Correlate Start Server", select "Always" and save,
- item "Tex Source Correlate Mode", toggle it on and save.
To set Okular as the default PDF viewer:
Tex View Program List then click
okular –unique %o#src:%n%b
Tex View Program Selection then click
Set and save both for future sessions.
To configure Okular: in the Okular window, go to the "Settings" menu, item "Configure Okular", "Editor", select Emacs client.
To use Forward search from Emacs to Okular, just hit
C-c C-v or click on the glasses button of the tool-bar to call the viewer. Okular will center its display on the intended line of the pdf.
To use Inverse search from Okular to Emacs, just hit Shift+Left mouse click on the pdf. Emacs will come up and position the cursor at the intended line of the TeX source.
As a sidenote, AUCTeX can also jump-to errors generated in the log file with a
If this keystroke throws an error, see Uninformative error message when using AUCTeX for
an Emacs-based (i.e. cross-platform, works with the major distributions) solution.