TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

In my book I found a few of weird symbols:

E-like letter

P-like letter

H-like letter

They are used as mark of ellipse, parabola and hyperbola, respectively (E-like, P-like and H-like letters in these images). How to get them in LaTeX (and by the way, what's their name)?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by egreg, Henri Menke, Svend Tveskæg, Jesse, Peter Jansson Mar 30 '14 at 16:52

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Are you looking for \mathcal{E}, \mathcal{P} and \mathcal{H}? – moewe Mar 30 '14 at 16:05
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The math alphabet \mathcal is used for these symbols:



\[ \mathcal{E} \mathcal{P} \mathcal{H} \]



share|improve this answer
It's great! Thanks – myname Mar 30 '14 at 16:09

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.