TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for the command to produce the often used symbol indicating a line break --- but flipped horizontally.
So basically this symbol:

|    \

It should fit within one line and should not require using a figure or floating object.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: An example of a symbol, which satisfies my needs is the \Lsh arrow --- but rotated by 180°.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can create it whit the Tikz package.
With this code you define the symbol:

\tikz{\draw[-latex] (0,0.2) |- (0.2,0);}  

With pdfcrop (that you have on your machine if you're using TeXLive or MacTeX) you can trim the symbol from the page. Just write in a console (or terminal or command prompt)

pdfcrop <path of file>/filename.pdf

and it will create a cropped pdf with only the symbol inside. After that you can use it as an image on your document

bla bla \includegraphics{symbol.pdf} bla bla

You could define a macro to speed up the symbol writing if you have to use it lots of times

share|improve this answer
That looks (almost) nice. Thank you a lot. One follow up question: How do I get the arrow non-filled? Like the arrow of \rightarrow ? – Torbjörn Apr 30 '11 at 8:01
just change the option -latex with -> at the \draw command and you'll get exactly the same arrow tip. – Spike Apr 30 '11 at 8:05
Thanks a lot. This definitely looks exactly as I imagined. Guess, I will use Tikz more often in the future. – Torbjörn Apr 30 '11 at 8:10
$\Rsh$ $\Lsh$ $\drsh$ $\dlsh$


enter image description here

share|improve this answer

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Kind of. I'm just not satisfied with that hook at all. I'm looking for more the kind of \Lsh but rotated by 180°. – Torbjörn Apr 30 '11 at 7:42
@T. K. see my updated answer – Thorsten Apr 30 '11 at 7:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.