TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want side arrows coming in and out of the reaction, a ubiquitous convention in biochemistry yet astonishingly not supported by packages like mhchem.

mychemistry supports it (see p26 of package manual in the link for examples). Alas mychemistry.sty is not available to me on QuickLatex because of its recency. How can I do this without the aid of mychemistry and without extreme hacking and modifying source code? I'm not a programmer, and I know nothing about Tex.

I also don't know how to use picture packages like Tikz. So unless it involves a simple invocation of pre-defined commands, I prefer to avoid it.

share|improve this question
There was an anonymous edit which pointed out that version 3.7.7 of QuickLatex does support mychemistry. I rejected the edit as that should have been best left as a comment. As the editor was anonymous, I'm making the comment myself even though I know nothing about it! – Loop Space Jun 1 '11 at 9:10

The mychemistry package is obsolete since chemfig provides all the functionality now itself. Both mychemistry and chemfig are supported by QuickLaTeX (see here)

The "in and out" arrows can be achieved by chemfig. This is an example from the documentation:


\schemestart A\arrow{-U>[123][456][][0.25]}B\schemestop
\schemestart A\arrow{-U>[123][456][][][90]}B\schemestop


enter image description here

share|improve this answer

The package chemarr is probably what you're looking for. Also, take a look at this list of chemistry related packages.

share|improve this answer
prtcao, if this answer solved your problem, please accept it by clicking on the checkmark beside the answer. This will help others who might have the same problem. You may revoke acceptance if an even better answer comes along. Also, check the FAQ: tex.stackexchange.com/faq, “How do I ask questions here?” – rberaldo May 2 '11 at 17:06
Thanks for the suggestion rberaldo - alas it hasn't quite solved the problem. It appears though that chemarr only really supports straight arrows. If only I had enough reputation points to post pictures, but have a look at p26 in the mychemistry link in the original post. Look out for the bent arrows coming in and out from the sides of the the straight arrows. Do you or anyone know how I can get this? – ptrcao May 3 '11 at 9:57
Do you mean, like this one? devio.us/~rberaldo/arrow.png The best way is probably using TikZ. It's not as hard as it sounds, though I'm not fluent in it. – rberaldo May 3 '11 at 16:14
Links seem down, not sure whether those are valid replacements: chemarr and this list – YAK Mar 10 '14 at 11:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.