Take the 2-minute tour ×
TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I need one (or maybe two) LaTeX symbols that I don't find in the comprehensive list of symbols. The symbol is like the normal plus-minus sign \pm, but with parenthesis around the minus sign. Is such a symbol available somewhere? And if not, what is the best way to construct it from (, \pm and )?

Preferably I would also want the opposite: \mp with parenthesis around the plus.

Any ideas?

share|improve this question
please provide a citation to where these symbols can be found in published material, and also say what they are used for and provide a meaningful name. they are not in unicode. send this information also to tech-support@ams.org; i am the representative of the stix project to unicode, and if suitable documentation is provided, i will communicate uncoded symbols to them for consideration. –  barbara beeton May 6 '11 at 12:34
@barbara: I actually asked because a friend asked me about it, so I'm not sure of the context in which is was needed. I'll check if he has any references. I think I've seen such a symbol in basic math or physics textbooks, eg, to indicate that a quadratic equation has two roots of different signs, but only the positive root is of (say physical) interest. –  Olof May 6 '11 at 13:32
I did a web search for this symbol and found this discussion. This kind of a symbol is very useful when neglecting, say, negative (or positive) solutions to quadratic equations because of known constraints. I use it often in my teaching. How extensive would the list of pointers to literature have to be in order for the symbol to be considered to be added? –  user11079 Jan 23 '12 at 14:17

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

I once proposed the following definitions

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.