TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to introduce a notation for concatenating vectors in a manuscript that I represent vectors with bold characters, $\textbf{x}$. The problem is defining it like $\textbf{x}:\textbf{y}$ introduces an extra distance between two characters which is far more than $\textbf{x:y}$. On the other hand the latter is not what I am looking for since I need non-bold subscripts for vectors and I need to use two $\textbf$ environments. Any suggestions?

This is bad concatenation $\textbf{x}:\textbf{y}$
This is good concatenation $\textbf{x:y}$
share|improve this question
Enclose the : itself in braces (to prevent it from being treated as a binary operator, which causes the space). – Paul Gessler Jul 4 '14 at 13:20
: is a considered a relation symbol; $\mathbf{x}{:}\mathbf{y}$ is what you need. – egreg Jul 4 '14 at 13:20
up vote 5 down vote accepted

enter image description here


 %uncomment to make `:` act like `{:}` by default.




share|improve this answer
I'm sure \mathbf should be used; or the symbols could turn out to be in bold italic, if the formula is inside a theorem statement. – egreg Jul 4 '14 at 13:24
@egreg Oh that is a good point! Thanks – Naji Jul 4 '14 at 13:25
@Naji If you only need : in that context and never as a relation symbol, I'm sure David will be glad to add a way for inputting : directly. – egreg Jul 4 '14 at 13:27
@egreg done: -) – David Carlisle Jul 4 '14 at 13:32
@Naji The whole point of bm is to give the bold version of a character so if it was in math italic it gives bold math italic. If you want upright bold then \mathbf will give that – David Carlisle Jul 4 '14 at 13:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.