I've found that using embedded postscript (eps) with the
pdflatex command, as opposed to the
latex command, may require more effort; and potentially insecure write18 permissions with cygwin. No problem, I thought, I can just use
latex. However, the two give different results.
I made a test by unzipping the Springer LNCS file llncs2e.zip. In the first case I used:
pdflatex llncs.dem && pdflatex llncs.dem
In the second case I used:
latex llncs.dem && latex llncs.dem && dvipdf llncs.dvi
In the second case I find that the bottom margin appears very large, while the top margin is too small; and don't think this looks acceptable. I'm not looking for a way to fix the margins, but would like to know where I went wrong in assuming that both routes would produce identical output.