TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am working on a package which builds on TikZ. How should I name it — tkz-foo or tikz-foo (foo is a placeholder). In CTAN both styles can be found: tikz- as well as tkz-. There are more tkz-named packages than tikz-named ones so I am inclined to go with that.

Any thoughts?

share|improve this question
Martin's answer aside, I think there's no reason to try to cram words into package names these days. There was probably once an 8-character limit, so you got names like "fancyhdr" and "fncylab" (I don't know why the author limited themselves to 7 on that one). Now, at the very least, "microtype" proves this is no longer a concern. Since it makes the names unreadable and unmemorable, please don't do it. – Ryan Reich Sep 1 '11 at 15:43
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I would recommend you to use tikz to refer to the actual TikZ package. For example, I called my TikZ based timing diagram package tikz-timing.

All tkz package seem to be from the same author (which is also a TeX.SX user). The macros of these package seem to start with tkz prefix. Calling you package the same way suggest to users that it belongs to this set of packages and would kind of invade the "namespace" of another package author.

share|improve this answer
I hadn't noticed that all the tkz- packages are from the same author. tikz- it is. Thank you! – Nickolay Kolev Jul 10 '11 at 10:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.