TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is exactly the command or the document class which is required to format a document such that it has alternating margins? Default values for margin space which are appropriate for dissertations are desired.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

If you use the book or report class or the koma script variants scrbook and scrreprt then you should have alternating margins by default. It is enabled using the twoside class option and disabled using the oneside option.

If you want to change the margins then you can do this e.g. using the geometry package. It accepts the margin=<length> option for all sides or left, right, top and bottom for the separate margins. The koma script classes have their own margin settings. See its manual for the details.

share|improve this answer
thanks, it works. – kloop Jul 27 '11 at 22:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.