TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Say I have something like:

First author,\textsuperscript{1,2,3} Second author,\textsuperscript{2,3} Third author, etc.

Is there a way to make the superscripts start in the same location where the comma separating the authors start? In the example above, for the first author, I would like the superscript 1 to be right on top of the first comma, while for the second author, I would like the superscript 2 to be right on top of the second comma.


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Using \kern -3pt is not very good, since you don't know the width of a comma. What about this?

First author\rlap{,}\textsuperscript{1,2,3}
Second author\rlap{,}\textsuperscript{2,3} Third author, etc.

Explanation: \rlap{whatever} sets whatever "to the right of the current position", but making it occupy zero width. (There is also \llap, and \clap in the mathtools package.)

share|improve this answer

First author,\kern-3pt\textsuperscript{1,2,3} Second 
author,\kern-3pt\textsuperscript{2,3} Third author, etc.


looks ugly to me ...

share|improve this answer
Thanks @Herbert. This is probably a personal question about aesthetics, but what would you prefer from the next three options?: 1) Comma followed by superscripts, 2) Superscripts followed by comma, or 3) Superscripts overlapping with comma – Amelio Vazquez-Reina Aug 1 '11 at 19:11
the first one if it refers to the author(s) and second if the reference belongs to the part of the sentence – Herbert Aug 1 '11 at 19:13
Personally, I sometimes do foo,\!\footnote{bar} - but not everybody likes that. And for exact overlapping, see my answer. – mbork Aug 1 '11 at 19:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.