Sign up ×
TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the LaTeX syntax for Karp reduction (i.e. the lesser than sign with curved lines instead of straight lines)?

share|improve this question
Please see this: and I think you're looking for \succ or \prec and their friends: \succeq,\preceq – Seamus Aug 8 '11 at 10:34
@Seamus: Thanks. Could u post this as an answer so that this gets an answer? – user1876 Aug 8 '11 at 10:38
Purely for making it easy for people to find that canonical symbol-lookup question, I'm voting to close as a duplicate. – Loop Space Aug 8 '11 at 11:05

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

In future, there are a number of ways to look up a symbol.

The "bendy inequality" symbols are:

\succ, \prec, \succeq and \preceq.

bendy inequalities

If you like the eq variants to bend too, then (with the help of the amssymb package you can:

$\succ \prec \succeq \preceq \succcurlyeq \preccurlyeq$

more bendy inequalities

share|improve this answer
Aesthetically, you may also prefer (as I do) the symbols \succcurlyeq and \preccurlyeq to their "non-curly" equivalents. – Niel de Beaudrap Aug 8 '11 at 10:48
@Niels thanks for that! I couldn't remember what the command for them was. – Seamus Aug 8 '11 at 10:56
Me neither, so I DeTeXified it. ;-) – Niel de Beaudrap Aug 8 '11 at 10:58
@Seamus: Thanks. I have used DeTexify in the past but I completely forgot about it. DeTexify goes into my bookmark tab now. – user1876 Aug 8 '11 at 11:15

\propto is Karp Reduction in LaTeX.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.