TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In beamer, overlay specifications can be used to make certain text commands take effect at different times. For example, \alert<2> applies the alert command only on the second slide.

Is there an equivalent for the cancel command instead on the alert command ?

share|improve this question
Take a look at my answer to this question: tex.stackexchange.com/questions/11571/… as there I defined an overlay-aware version of the cancel command. Does that do what you want? – Loop Space Sep 21 '11 at 10:09
@Andrew Stacey: Great !!! This is exactly what I want :-) Thanks! – Marco Sep 21 '11 at 11:53
I've copied my code so that it's easier to find: the questions are sufficiently different that I don't think this is a duplicate. It's just coincidence that my answer to that one involved the cancel stuff. – Loop Space Sep 21 '11 at 12:04
up vote 3 down vote accepted

(Although my answer at Uncover a multiline equation with beamer covers this case, the actual questions aren't duplicates so I'm copying the code here to make it easier for a casual "passer-by" to find it.)

Here's an overlay-aware version of the \xcancel command. I've written it as a wrapper rather than a replacement, but it wouldn't be hard to do the latter instead.


        S(1,\dots,s) = \underbrace{\sum_{m=1}^{m_t} (-1)^{m+1} \sum_{i_1<\dots<i_m} I(i_1,\dots,i_m)}_{\text{entropy estimate with correlation order}\, m_t} \\
        \xxcancel<2->{{} + \underbrace{\sum_{m=m_t+1}^{s} (-1)^{m+1} \sum_{i_1<\dots<i_m} I(i_1,\dots,i_m)}_{\text{correlations of order higher than}\, m_t} }

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.