Sign up ×
TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm new to latex, but it seems you can temporarily redefine some commands? The problem I have is that normally the citation is (SMITH, 2000). But at times, I'd like to have Smith (2000) instead. Anyway I can temporarily redefine it, then use the standard version again after that "block" of code?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Have a look at the natbib package, it gives you two different citation commands, \citep and \citet, that do exactly what you're asking for.

share|improve this answer
Or the biblatex package, which gives \textcite and \parencite (or compatibility commands equivalent to natbib's, if you wish). – Will Robertson Sep 20 '10 at 7:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.