TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In ConTeXt, I have text that is say 5cm wide. Once in a while I'd like to have a table or an image that sticks out of the right margin and is for example 10 cm wide. My idea is to have something like \startnarrower, just the opposite way. So what is the best approach to that? I have not specified my layout yet, so I am open to any clean solution.

share|improve this question
Patrick, don't you mean \startnarrower ? – Taco Hoekwater Sep 22 '10 at 5:55
Yes, of course. I have changed it in the question. – topskip Sep 22 '10 at 6:03
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think that the details manual has lots of ideas on how to "bleed" an image to margins. Also see pack-box.mkiv for examples (search for bleed).

You can also use


for text.

share|improve this answer

This is what I do now:

\setuplayout [




\input tufte


It's exactly what I want. Thanks Aditya and Taco!

share|improve this answer
Careful! \definestartstop[big] also defines a macro \big, which overwrites the math macro \big. – Aditya Sep 22 '10 at 21:10
That's true. I'll think of another name. – topskip Sep 23 '10 at 5:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.