TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How to make the symbols for interior product (a.k.a. contraction)? The best I've been able to come up with is \mathrel{\llcorner} (or \lrcorner). Any other suggestions?

share|improve this question
Martin's answer was not satisfactory for me. The resulting symbol does not match the interior product symbol I'm familiar with from my texts. The symbol should be fairly large, outlining the bottom-most and right-most edge of the glyph's rendering box. Can anyone give another answer? – ziggurism Dec 19 '11 at 19:17
up vote 3 down vote accepted

MnSymbol package has \invneg symbol, which is most likely what you're looking for. Hope this helps.


share|improve this answer
On an unrelated note, detexify wasn't able to recognize this particular symbol, nor did it suggest anything even remotely similar. It can be found, however, in the CTAN comprehensive symbol list. – Martin Tapankov Sep 26 '10 at 18:58
I know, I tried detexify too! Anyway, \invneg and \invbackneg look fine. Thanks! – Hans Lundmark Sep 26 '10 at 19:26

I believe you are looking for


as in

share|improve this answer
Not quite. The contraction symbol has a long horizontal line and a short vertical line, whereas the floor symbol is the other way arund... – Hans Lundmark Sep 27 '10 at 7:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.