TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Change \textwidth and \textheight in mid-document

is there a way to adjust the vertical margins, i.e. left and right, on a single page / a certain region (the table of contents in my case) of a TeX document?

The reason why I'm asking is, that I've got a simple TeX-Article with two columns, therefor I set the margins left and right to somewhat around 2cm. However, I did not apply multicols on the table of contents (as I do not want that). Now the toc stretches over the full page width, which I find very ugly. Ideally it would have an individual width of 2/3 of the page, somewhat around 12cm.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by lockstep, Martin Schröder, Marco Daniel, percusse, clemens Aug 23 '12 at 14:56

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

@lockstep The solution given there uses \newgeometry that forces a page break. – egreg Jan 6 '12 at 12:05
@egreg Thanks -- I normally start ToC's on a new page, so I didn't think abput \newgeometrys limitation. (And +1 for your answer.) – lockstep Jan 6 '12 at 12:07
@egreg Looking at the question title again, it reads "on a single page". ;-) – lockstep Jan 6 '12 at 12:09
@lockstep "on a single page / a certain region". Maybe scravy can make the question more precise. – egreg Jan 6 '12 at 12:21
@egreg: As the OP accepted your answer, the correct tag seems to be {indentation}, not {margins}. – lockstep Jan 6 '12 at 19:53
up vote 6 down vote accepted

A practical way might be


The center environment however, introduces vertical space; you could also use


Take your pick.

share|improve this answer
thanks, that's exact what I was searching for. – scravy Jan 6 '12 at 12:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.