TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Using braces to label parts of an equation

I have formula and I need to make horizontal curly brace underlying part of it. Also I need curly braces on top of the formula. How to do it? I tried to use \stackrel and \mathtop but it does not work.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Stefan Kottwitz Feb 29 '12 at 18:04

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

I have found. I should use \overbrace{}^{} and \underbrace{}^{}. – ashim Feb 29 '12 at 17:52
Thanks for telling us that you found it! I closed it as a duplicate, since we had such a question already (several times). – Stefan Kottwitz Feb 29 '12 at 18:05

You can try the following commands:

\overbrace{your-formula}^\text{your comment} 
\underbrace{your-formula}_\text{your comment} 

An example that I took from Wikibooks:

  z = \overbrace{
    \underbrace{x}_\text{real} +
   }^\text{complex number}

Their result: enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Could you add that it needs this import: \usepackage{amsmath} ? – Ricky Robinson May 22 '14 at 15:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.