TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to create a "distressed" look using TikZ? For example:

enter image description here

Note that it is akin to a filter over the text/image, as each letter looks different.

share|improve this question
As you say, it looks like a filter over the text. I'd do that by creating a semi-transparent picture over the top using some noise to create the effect. Have you tried something like this? – Loop Space Mar 19 '12 at 8:30
Looks like a job for \pgfmask. Still I think it's much more easier with Photoshop or Fireworks. – percusse Mar 19 '12 at 9:36
@percusse "...easier with Photoshop or Fireworks" I completely agree (though I'd use Inkscape myself). However, coming to this site I've been blown away at seeing how far LaTeX and TikZ can be pushed. I put the question out there to see if it was possible - the advantage with a TeX centered solution though is the ability to generate this effect on the fly! – Hooked Mar 19 '12 at 13:30
@AndrewStacey no I haven't, and only because I'm not sure how I can do that with with TikZ (or any other package). Can TikZ create a "mask" that is generated by text? – Hooked Mar 19 '12 at 13:32
@Hooked I was thinking the other way around: render the text first, and then put a translucent image over the top. – Loop Space Mar 19 '12 at 13:33
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Here's an example of what I meant in the comments with fadings. To do it properly, one should use a more random pattern than I do, so it's a proof-of-concept rather than an actual method.



\node[text=transparent!0] {\Huge \textbf{Distressed Text}};
\fill[preaction={fill},pattern color=DarkRed,pattern=crosshatch dots] (-4,-1) rectangle (4,1);
\fill[pattern color=IndianRed,
  path fading=distress,
  fit fading=false
] (-3.5,-1) rectangle (3.5,1);


distressed text

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.