I am about to write a couple of books using LaTeX. I am fairly used to producing small LaTeX articles using Sweave and R, but I have never written a book using LaTeX and I am not conversant with the LaTeX practices standard for writing books.
Also, though I have a few ideas about how to structure such a big document, not having written a book in LaTeX myself, I don't know what works and what doesn't in the long run.
The books I am writing are:
- A book with a lot of charts and code (in R), and a few tables. I'll be using Sweave with this.
- A book with a lot of text and a few images. I'll be quoting passages and quite a few poems. An entire section/chapter could consist of poetry.
Here are my questions (answers with examples/references will be appreciated):
- What techniques/best-practices should I follow in writing the books using LaTeX? What are the packages that are typically helpful?
- What are the packages in LaTeX that I could/should use for typesetting poetry?
- Sweave is nice enough for including R code, but I would like something that looks more professional. I have seen and used
listings, and though I still don't have a set of options which looks fancy enough, I am guessing
listingswill do with enough tweaking. Am I missing out on anything? Should I be using
listingswith any other package? Do you have nice
listingstemplates to share?
- Any nice templates for writing books? Or helpful online resources specific to writing books with LaTeX?