TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My document contains many short, justified lines, so the lines often appear with many spaces between words, e.g.:

These    words    have    a    space
so that they can fit nicely into the
available line.

In most situations, this is no problem, however, there are some select situations where I want a group of two or more words to appear together, even if other words in the lines are pulled apart, e.g., with "these words" linked:

These words     have     a     space
so that they can fit nicely into the
available line.

How can this be done?

I'm looking for either a ConTeXt or TeX solution.

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

\hbox{These words} will do. Or, if you prefer a macro,



These\nespace words

This space has no stretch or shrink component, but is the same as the normal interword space. If you want to add shrinkability:

\def\nespace{\hskip\fontdimen2\font minus\fontdimen4\font\relax}

The main difference between the \hbox approach and \nespace is that a line break can be taken at \nespace. Shouldn't you want it, just add \nobreak before \hskip as glue is not a feasible break point if preceded by discardable items and \nobreak adds a penalty, which is discardable.

share|improve this answer
How about line breaks? Are they permitted at \nespace? – lockstep Apr 14 '12 at 12:19
@lockstep Yes, of course: any glue is a feasible line break point if it's not preceded by discardable items. In order not to break, one can add \nobreak before \hskip. – egreg Apr 14 '12 at 12:21
In that case, please point out the difference to \hbox in your answer. – lockstep Apr 14 '12 at 12:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.