TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to write this name that have an inverse circumflex above letter c: enter image description here

I have found the command \check{c}, but it is in math mode. I want to find something equivalent but in text mode, to make no difference with the other letter/words of the text. (Using \check{c}, I get this: enter image description here)

Thank you!

share|improve this question
the symbol is called a hacek, or, more properly, a ha\v{c}ek. – barbara beeton Jun 19 '12 at 12:20
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The accent command here is \v, so you want Ku\v{c}inskas. You could of course use UTF-8 input and either inputenc with pdfLaTeX or a UTF-8 capable engine (XeLaTeX/LuaLaTeX).

share|improve this answer
Table 17 in the Comprehensive List lists the main accents available. – egreg Jun 19 '12 at 8:57
Thanks Joseph & egreg for your comments and solutions. Problem solved. – xarmengol Jun 19 '12 at 9:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.