TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The multline environment does exactly what I want in splitting a long formula between lines by utilizing the horizontal space to the fullest. (I don't want the alignment features of the align environment.)

The problem is, I want to vertically center the equation number, as opposed to making it appear on the second line (as it does by default).

How do I do this?

share|improve this question
I thought that maybe \raisetag could help, but it doesn't have any effect if the tag was not shifted from it's natural position... – Jellby Jun 26 '12 at 8:06
up vote 11 down vote accepted

What you want is the multlined environment provided by mathtools:





enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Try to use this:

 a&= b+c-d\\
  & \quad +e-f\\
  &= g+h\\
  &= i
share|improve this answer

This answer is really just an addendum to/augmentation of the answer provided by @Thiago on the use of a split environment within an equation environment to get the vertical centering of the equation number.

  • Normally, one uses the split environment to align successive lines on a single common point -- frequently, not necessarily, an = sign.

  • However, by leaving off the align symbol, &, entirely from two (or more) consecutive lines, the resulting lines will simply be centered, one line after the other.

  • Other alignment possibilities exist too. For example, the following code,

    \begin{equation} \begin{split}
    \end{split} \end{equation}

    serves to have the e of the second line be placed exactly below the d of the first line.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.