Take the 2-minute tour ×
TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm using apalike-letters bibliography style which inserts heading for each first letter of authors' names. It works well for English letters but when a name starts with Polish letter it starts to get crazy. Consider following example:

Bibliography with Polish letters

Note that the order of the items is correct (Ł should be after L and Ś should be after S) but first letters of Łuszczewski and Śpiewak are replaced with their second letters.

I think that it is caused by purify function which strips non-alphanumeric characters from string (and Ł and Ś are not treated as alphanumeric) but I don't know how to change this. All I managed to do is to change Ł to \L but then Łuszczewski was inserted in L section which is not correct.

Any ideas how to change this?

You can find the whole project (with the style file in it) at http://piec.info/apalike-letters_test2.zip [76 KB].

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by tohecz, Kurt, Werner, Stefan Kottwitz Jan 5 '13 at 22:57

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1  
I don't think that you can use this style with initial other than plain latin characters. I tried to use bibtex8, but it fails. –  egreg Jul 2 '12 at 23:04
    
@egreg Actually I'm using bibtex8.exe -c cp1250pl.csf file in my real project. –  bpiec Jul 2 '12 at 23:08
    
I get can't start a style-file command---line 26 of file apalike-letters.bst and an empty .bbl file. –  egreg Jul 2 '12 at 23:11
7  
Although you don't want to hear this (I know you mentioned problems with it in your previous question), but I really think you should try to get this working with biblatex and biber which have much better methods for sorting non-English alphabets. –  Alan Munn Jul 3 '12 at 0:47