Sign up ×
TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am looking for the 'such that' symbol in set theory. I don't know what it's called so I'm not sure how to look for it. For the moment, I am just using this '|'. What is the appropriate symbol?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 32 down vote accepted

\mid, as it has the spacing of a binary relation. If you want it to resize, see “How to automatically resize the vertical bar in a set comprehension?”.

Have a look at “How to look up a math symbol?” for ideas how you can easily find a particular symbol.

share|improve this answer
If you want the vertical bar to resize, it's better, spacing-wise, to use (inside a macro, to avoid unnecessary typing) \left\{ x \in X \mathrel{}\middle|\mathrel{} x > \frac{1}{2}\right\} as mentioned in – Philippe Goutet Dec 1 '10 at 9:42
Actually it is probably best to use the bracket package suggested by Will in the link above. – Caramdir Dec 2 '10 at 3:23
The problem with the bracket package is that it fiddles with the spacing in ways that may not be wanted. For example, it inserts medium space on the inside as if you typed \{\: and \:\}. This will not look good in a context like \{ x \mid x \neq 0 \}/\{x > 0\}. – Philippe Goutet Dec 3 '10 at 17:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.