TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have used i, j, k, and \ell as indexing subscripts.

Now, I would like to write another equation with i and j, but keeping it clear that these are distinct indexes. I would prefer not to have to start going to more esoteric letters (as suggested in response to a related question at math.SE)

Is there a font that will allow me to re-use i and j in two distinct equations?

share|improve this question
Using primes might be a better choice typographically than using typeface distinctions... – kgr Jul 13 '12 at 17:31
i,j,k are also esoteric letters depending on the context. There is no standard for indices. – percusse Jul 13 '12 at 17:32
α, β, γ, ... are often seen as indices. – Caramdir Jul 13 '12 at 17:39
I strongly urge you to use primes or other letters (even if they look esoteric to you). It is very unlikely that you'll find two fonts whose lower case i's are different enough for a reader in a hurry (and there is no other kind) to easily see the difference between -- especially at subscript size. – Mark Meckes Jul 13 '12 at 18:16
For what it's worth, personally I frequently use p and q, once i-n are all used up. – Mark Meckes Jul 14 '12 at 12:36

The basic options are


    $i,\mathtt{i}, \mathbf{i}, \mathrm{i},\mathsf{i}, \mathfrak{i}, \mathbb{i}, \imath$

enter image description here

See also How to look up a symbol? Table 213 in symbols-a4.pdf gives a good overview of those different math fonts.

share|improve this answer

You can af course use \mathbf{i} or \mathsf{i}.

However, I would recommend you to use \tilde{i}, i' or similar to distinguish between different indices.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.