Sign up ×
TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The IEEE Citation Reference specifies that a DOI should be provided for electronic articles without page numbers. However, IEEEtran.bst appears to provide no such functionality. What is the best way to get DOI numbers in the bibliography?

Bonus if the solution also

  • optionally makes display of DOI conditional on a lack of page numbers for conference proceedings only; and/or
  • hyperlinks the DOI (e.g. through the doi or uri packages).

I'll accept a solution that involves editing IEEEtran.bst—this is the approach I'm working on now—but would prefer one that doesn't, if possible.

share|improve this question
Have you asked Michael Shell (author of IEEEtran) about this? – Joseph Wright Aug 16 '12 at 17:40
@JosephWright I sent him an email concurrently with this question, and I'll report what I hear back. – ezod Aug 16 '12 at 17:53
And so you heard nothing back? – Clément Jan 13 at 17:44
He reported in August 2012 that DOI functionality is on the to-do list, and that there is more than just DOI to consider (e.g. ArXiv), so it is more involved than just a quick patch. – ezod Jan 14 at 19:57

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I've created a patch to IEEEtranN.bst that does the trick, including the "bonus" features.

share|improve this answer
I think the better way would be to create a new bst file like IEEEtranNDoi.bst and provide a MWE which shows how to use it ... – Kurt Aug 17 '12 at 1:47
Applying the patch generates the new bst file. I could provide that, although for the moment I am more interested in comments on the changes. The usage should be (and in this case, is) transparent to the user as compared to the current version of IEEEtranN.bst. – ezod Aug 17 '12 at 3:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.