TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

By blank, I'm looking to TeX something like this:

$\{\emptyset\}$ _ $\{\emptyset,\{\emptyset\}\}$, but I want the _ to look more like a longer blank as you'd see in a fill-in-the-blank type of question. Thanks.

share|improve this question
up vote 17 down vote accepted

You can use \underline with an argument of \hspace. For example,

share|improve this answer

foo\textvisiblespace bar

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.