TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to refer to a report available on a particular site. Although some human being must have compiled the report, but there isn't any reference to any specific name. Which BibTeX attribute should I choose for such citing.

share|improve this question
From the website, can't you contact someone? It is quite useless to reference a document with no author, just a url link. The latter will probably die soon. I'd first try to have the document uploaded on an open archive repository and then reference the link (arxiv or oai reference is better and available with biblatex) which should then be accessible in the long term. url in general should be avoided. – pluton Oct 18 '12 at 5:03
In German you can just write "without Author" (German: Ohne Verfasser) as Author or you use the field editor with the name of the institution. – Kurt Oct 18 '12 at 7:43
Is there anything like an organization or so that is acting like an editor or publisher and that you could use? – Benedikt Bauer Oct 18 '12 at 7:56
@BenediktBauer: Yes, there is name of organization. And also, that particular report also has a title. All is ok, except no Author, but a link. – Shamim Hafiz Oct 18 '12 at 15:33
up vote 3 down vote accepted

A possibility, and depending on the bib style use, would be to use

  title = {Title of the report},
  year = 2012,
  note = {\url{web address of the page}}

Load the package url (or similar) for proper treatment of \url

share|improve this answer
I was thinking in the line of misc, perhaps this maybe the best way to go about it. – Shamim Hafiz Oct 18 '12 at 15:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.