TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This one is mostly for fun, although seeing the TikZ tricks people come up with is often instructive. While I was looking for examples with torn pages, I ran across a few of these:

enter image description here

Can one draw pirate treasure maps like this in LaTeX, or is it just too far out? If the map itself is too difficult, just the 'burnt paper' edge effect would be interesting (although that should possibly be a separate question).

share|improve this question
I guess the burnt paper can be faked with one or several blur shadows and clipping, in a similar way than the inset effect was achieved in answer tex.stackexchange.com/a/85694/12571 – JLDiaz Dec 13 '12 at 0:08
What I've been always asking myself: Why is the typical treasure map burnt on all four sides? – Stephan Lehmke Dec 13 '12 at 6:56
@StephanLehmke : I suspect it isn't actually burnt, but just extremely weathered. – Brent.Longborough Dec 13 '12 at 10:56
This is a task for Photoshop IMO. – Nicholas Hamilton Dec 13 '12 at 15:37
If i find X, will I ACTUALLY find a chest full of Gold? – Nicholas Hamilton Dec 15 '12 at 1:26

TikZ used to embed smaller parts of a bigger map - does not do burning, only random rough cropping:

\clip [decorate, decoration={random steps,segment length=4pt,amplitude=1.5pt}] (#2) rectangle (#3);
\node [] {\includegraphics{#1}};

This is used something like this:


In the end, it looks like this:

Map of Sherwood Forest

The Map itself is done in Inkscape. However the same big map is cut on the fly multiple times in the document to focus on different areas. The full (german) document can be found here.

But I've made not much progress creating brownish inner glows with TikZ to simulate the burning.

share|improve this answer
What is the (nice) font used in the surrounding text? – Mohan Dec 31 '12 at 10:32
That is the Fell family, available at iginomarini.com/fell – TeXter Dec 31 '12 at 10:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.