TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to find the name of the function : Insert -> formatting -> Page Break

So i can set it as a shortcut from preferences ->Editing->shortcuts->new. But in order to do that i need the function name, and i can't seem to find it online.

Anyone knows?

share|improve this question
\newpage. is that what youre looking for? – Seamus Dec 13 '12 at 10:38
Nope. When you try to make a new shortcut it's asks for the function name. I tried 'newpage' and '\newpage' both were invalid names – oopsi Dec 13 '12 at 10:41
Have you tried \clearpage? – Brent.Longborough Dec 13 '12 at 10:50
Not working as well. – oopsi Dec 13 '12 at 10:59
So, you are trying to get a keyboard shortcut for a TeX macro, is that right? LyX is telling you that \newpage and \clearpage are invalid names? – Seamus Dec 13 '12 at 11:08
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Go to the menubar and press

Tools | Preferences | Editing | Shortcuts

In the window that has popped up, enter newpage in the field called Show key-binding containing. In the window below, you will see a function called


Highlight this and press Modify. In the window that pops up, you can enter your favorite shortcut (I have used Alt+Shift+N).

Press Apply first and then Save, and you should be done.

Works for me under Linux with LyX 2.0.4.

share|improve this answer
Great Thanks! Any chance you know the function name for : vertical space? – oopsi Dec 13 '12 at 12:58
Sorry I don't but maybe this could give you some ideas – vaettchen Dec 13 '12 at 15:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.