Take the 2-minute tour ×
TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I use Jabref for my bib files and even in Biblatex mode, the journal title is still saved under journal. Since updating Biblatex, it no longer supports this backwards compatibility so journal titles are not appearing in my bibliography.

I could find+replace journal = to journaltitle = in my bib file but then Jabref doesn't recognise the title and I can't manage the journal abbreviations using the built-in functions.

So I would like to make Biblatex recognise journal as an alias for journaltitle. I tried

\renewbibmacro*{journal}{%
  \iffieldundef{journal}
   {}
   {\printtext[journaltitle]{%
      \printfield[titlecase]{journal}%
      \setunit{\subtitlepunct}%
      \printfield[titlecase]{journalsubtitle}}}}

in the bbx file but this didn't work. Does anybody have any ideas?

Edit 1: MWE

Here is an example of what I mean. Change journal to journaltitle and the journal title appears in the references. Otherwise it doesn't.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{filecontents}
\begin{filecontents}{\jobname.bib}
@Article{elvis,
    author = "Elvis Presley",
    title = "Turn Me One More Time",
    journal = "Jail House Books",
    year = 1963,
}
\end{filecontents}

\usepackage[backend=biber]{biblatex}
\addbibresource{\jobname.bib}

\begin{document}
Here is a citation by \textcite{elvis}.

\printbibliography
\end{document}

Edit 2

I have biber 1.4 and biblatex 2.3 rather than 2.4... I've tried updating but the MikTex package manager says everything is up to date. Could this be the problem? Also during the build, a warning appears saying Found biblatex control file version 2.1, expected version 2.2 Could this also be a problem?

Also, I'm using MikTex 2.9

From my last update log (which is when this problem arose), four packages were updated,

extracting files from glossaries.tar.lzma...
extracting files from miktex-biber-bin.tar.lzma...
extracting files from miktex-misc.tar.lzma...
extracting files from miktex-texinfo-base.tar.lzma...

So it seems something in biber was updated.

share|improve this question
    
journal has always been an alias for journaltitle. You'll have to provide some details so that we can help troubleshoot. –  Audrey Dec 16 '12 at 17:27
    
Biblatex automatically maps journal to journaltitle when creating bbl files from bib databases. So using \iffieldundef{journaltitle} and \printfield[titlecase]{journaltitle} instead of \iffieldundef{journal} and \printfield[titlecase]{journal} should solve your problem –  Guido Dec 16 '12 at 20:05
    
Thanks very much for looking at this. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. I've added an MWE that reproduces the problem for me. Fyi, all my packages are up to date. –  J-P Dec 16 '12 at 20:35
    
@J-P We'll need more than an MWE, unfortunately. Your example shows no issues on my end. I tested with biblatex 2.4 and biber 1.4. –  Audrey Dec 16 '12 at 21:27
1  
@J-P biblatex 2.3 won't work properly with biber 1.4. The biblatex manual gives a list of compatible versions. The MiKTeX site indicates that the latest package repo should have biblatex 2.4. –  Audrey Dec 16 '12 at 22:18
show 2 more comments

closed as too localized by lockstep, Kurt, Stefan Kottwitz Jan 4 '13 at 12:40

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.