Some days ago, I've updated my Miktex 2.8 installation (on Windows 7). However, since doing that I have problems with latexdiff (it did work before). When I run it, I get:
latexdiff: the Perl script could not be found latexdiff: Data: latexdiff
So, it seems the
latexdiff.exe (there is one under
C:\Program Files (86)\MikTeX 2.8\miktex\bin\latexdiff.exe, and another one under
C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\MikTeX\2.8\miktex\bin\latexdiff.exe) doesn't find the actual Perl script. There are some Perl files under
Things I've done/checked:
I first thought it was a Perl problem, but the perl interpreter is still working and available at the command line
If I do
perl "C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.8\scripts\latexdiff\latexdiff -hthe script works fine.
I've already removed and reinstalled the latexdiff package using both the MikTex
Package Maintenance (Admin), but that didn't help.
It doesn't seem to be an admin/regular user issue, as calling either of the two
latexdiff.exefiles explicitly (the global one, or the user one) gives the same problem.
Other scripts like
pdfcropwhich also use a similar perl-script-redirection setup still can be called without problems.
miktex\config\scripts.inifile seems to refer to the correct path, as it has the line
Although I noticed that the latexdiff lines are the one of only a few ones that do NOT end with
urlbstwhere to other ones without
I've checked the
miktex\config\update-<date>.logfiles and in the most recent one there is no entry of
latexdiffin the "Making Per links..." part, wheres in older log files, there was.
I don't want to re-install MikTex to fix this problem.
As a workaround for now, I have sort-of created a wrapper script that calls
perl "C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.8\scripts\latexdiff\latexdiff, instead of just
latexdiff.exe, with whatever options I append.
Some more background:
The reason I updated MikTeX some days ago was because I was having a compile problem when using pdftex. I got the error
I can't find file 'dehypht-x-2009-06-19.tex'. I tried solving this by updating MikTeX. Didn't help. Was able to resolve it by opening the MikTex Settings program (Windows Start Menu > MikTex > Maintenance > Settings), and deselecting the relevant German language under the Language tab. Don't know if this is relevant or not.