TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What font package do I use to get the vertical Russan/German style integral signs? (subject says all)

share|improve this question
For those who don't know the said variants, Wikipedia shows the symbols in an image file: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_symbol – hayalci Aug 4 '10 at 7:53
I have recently graduated from a Russian university. I never seen a "Russian" integral; instead, the integral symbol used here in books and handwritings is "German". I've just checked a couple of Russian math books published in 80's, and they use German variant too. So, perhaps, German style would be enough for you. – Pavel Shved Aug 4 '10 at 13:41

The German one can be produced with the wasysym package. More precisely, if loaded without arguments, then the package provides a \varint command for the upright integral. If loaded with the integrals option, it overrides the normal \int command.

The integrals from mathabx (it redefines \int) are beckwards slanted when used in inline style and upright when in display style.

(Generally if you look for a symbol, detexify and the comprehensive symbol list are of invaluable help.)

share|improve this answer
Now why didn't detexify find those when I looked! – Loop Space Aug 4 '10 at 11:57
Maybe they are not (yet) in the list of symbols detexify knows about. – Caramdir Aug 4 '10 at 12:40

According to detexify, the German one (upright, according to Wikipedia) is in the font package tipa as the command \textesh, but there it's regarded as a phonetic symbol so is a text character. That means that it won't behave correctly as is in mathematics: that is, it won't stretch and it won't have the limits in the right place. However, it could (probably) be converted to one.

The closest detexify gives for the Russian one is \rbag in the stmaryrd package, but it looks a little odd at the bottom.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.