TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, and related typesetting systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In BibTeX, I need to cite another entry as a note/comment of a first one, something like:

author = {Author A.},
journal = {The Journal of XX},
number = {1},
pages = {4252},
year = {2000},
note = {see updated results in \cite{Paper2}    }

author = {Author B.},
journal = {The Journal of YY},
number = {2},
pages = {1},
year = {2001}

Could you give a suggestion in doing this?

I think my need is not really fitting to what proposed here: How to cite within a reference entry using biblatex

share|improve this question
Your example bibliography will work fine the way you typed it. – mafp Feb 7 '13 at 20:44
you have to run (pdf)latex bibtex several times. The citation to paper2 is not visible to bibtex in the first run. Thus you have to run bibtex again after a second latex run. – Guido Feb 7 '13 at 21:52
There is a very extensive discussion/guide for BibTeX at <newton.ex.ac.uk/tex/node22.html>; – vonbrand Feb 8 '13 at 2:46
@Guido -- I think the question is valid (if not a duplicate); in which case, your comment could be turned into an answer pretty easily: latex --> bibtex --> latex --> bibtex --> latex --> latex. – jon Feb 15 '13 at 16:40
up vote 5 down vote accepted

The reference Paper2 is not visible to bitbex until the note in the reference Paper1 is inserted in the bibliography. Thus one needs to run bibtex a second time. Thus the workflow is


If one wants to avoid the second call to (pdf)latex, then one could insert \nocite{Paper2} somewhere in the document, and then the reference Paper2 is visible for the first run of bibtex.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.