I would like to represent the movement of a single electron in a reaction mechanism (grignard-reaction)

Is there a predefined arrow (something like a harpoon) for that in chemfig? Or does anyone have an idea?


You can load the TikZ-library arrows and use the arrow tips left to and right to. Here's a quick example:

enter image description here


  % a long invisible bond should suffice but this demonstrates
  % that also scheme nodes can be referenced in \chemmove{}:
  \draw[red,-right to,shorten >=3pt]
    (Cl) ..controls +(90:7mm) and +(100:7mm) .. (nb) ;
  \draw[red,-left to,shorten >=3pt]
    (bd) ..controls +(100:7mm) and +(80:7mm) .. (nb) ;
  \draw[red,-right to,shorten >=3pt]
    (bd) ..controls +(80:7mm) and +(100:7mm) .. (C) ;

  • Thanks a lot! These arrows looked different in TikZ-documentation. Maybe I should've test it next time :) – philipp May 26 '13 at 17:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.