5

Original post:

The bibleref package affords tidy citation and indexing of Bible passages; sort order is by default alphabetical by book. According to the documentation, one can change the to another desired sequence by issuing suitable \biblerefmap commands for each book.

However, having tried various scenarious, this appears to work for the default citation style, but not when an alternate built-in style is invoked, whether by package option or by issuing \biblerefstyle. Also, an attempt to get around the problem using \setbooktitle and \setindexbooktitle causes the desired sort order to be ignored as well. Here's my minimal example:

% !TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
\documentclass{memoir}
\usepackage{bibleref}
% Replacing the previous line with the following causes the sort to revert to alphabetical
%\usepackage[jerusalem]{bibleref}
% Adding the next line after the \usepackage does the same.
%\biblerefstyle{jerusalem}
\biblerefmap{Genesis}{01}
\biblerefmap{Exodus}{02}
\biblerefmap{Leviticus}{03}
\biblerefmap{Numbers}{04}
\biblerefmap{Deuteronomy}{05}
\biblerefmap{Joshua}{06}
\biblerefmap{Judges}{07}
\biblerefmap{1Samuel}{08}
\biblerefmap{2Samuel}{09}
\biblerefmap{1Kings}{10}
\biblerefmap{2Kings}{11}
\biblerefmap{Isaiah}{12}
\biblerefmap{Jeremiah}{13}
\biblerefmap{Ezekiel}{14}
\biblerefmap{Hosea}{15}
\biblerefmap{Joel}{16}
\biblerefmap{Amos}{17}
\biblerefmap{Obadiah}{18}
\biblerefmap{Jonah}{19}
\biblerefmap{Micah}{20}
\biblerefmap{Nahum}{21}
\biblerefmap{Habbakuk}{22}
\biblerefmap{Zephaniah}{23}
\biblerefmap{Haggai}{24}
\biblerefmap{Zecharaiah}{25}
\biblerefmap{Malachi}{26}
\biblerefmap{Psalms}{27}
\biblerefmap{Job}{28}
\biblerefmap{Proverbs}{29}
\biblerefmap{Ruth}{30}
\biblerefmap{Song of Songs}{31}
\biblerefmap{Ecclesiastes}{32}
\biblerefmap{Lamentations}{33}
\biblerefmap{Esther}{34}
\biblerefmap{Daniel}{35}
\biblerefmap{Ezra}{36}
\biblerefmap{Nehemiah}{37}
\biblerefmap{1Chronicles}{38}
\biblerefmap{2Chronicles}{39}
% Need the Bible citations in a separate index
\renewcommand{\biblerefindex}{\index[biblecites]}
\makeindex[biblecites]

\begin{document}
Dummy text citing \ibibleverse{Genesis}(1:1) and \ibibleverse{Exodus}(10:11-20).
\printindex[biblecites]
\end{document}

BTW, XeLaTeX is used here because in my actual project, I use Hebrew text. However, regular LaTeX doesn't seem to offer any improvement. Neither does using regular \makeindex and \printindex.

Can anyone advise on a solution?

Update (13 August):

I'd seen a change proposed to bibleref here but it didn't at first seem relevant. Nevertheless, I decided to try it... and it seemed to solve my problem. Further testing suggested this worked for the various predefined styles.

BUT--when I recompiled my actual project, the order remained unchanged! I brought it back down to the minimal example, step by step, and it still didn't work. I finally discovered that in the MWE, I had used

\ibibleverse{Genesis}(1:1)

whereas in my actual project, I had

\ibibleverse{Gn}(1:1)

etc. In other words, the patch alluded to above seems to work, so long as actual citations use the full rather than abbreviated forms of books.

Consequently, I view this as an interim solution only.

Update (10 September):

As it happens, the original author of bibleref is no longer supporting this package; maintenance has passed to the authors of biblref-mouth and bibleref-parse, who are aiming to merge the three packages (http://www.dickimaw-books.com/notlisted.html).

However, I understand from communicating briefly with them that progress at the moment is quite slow; therefore users should be prepared to use bibleref as is for the time being.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.