Out of curiosity I tried to
bibtex.web source code and compile the resulting
tex. I got some errors which led me to investigate; I'm sure my confusion stems from incorrect assumptions on my part.
The errors were of the missing $ kind, but point to the use of a wrong macro.
Weaved tex-files use the
webmac.sty style file. In it are macros such as
\E macro should be used in a math environment.
An example of an error is:
! Missing $ inserted. <inserted text> $ <to be read again> \cdot \E->\cdot 10^ <argument> 39, 58, 60\E Ts61 \note ...ndent 2em\baselineskip 10pt\eightrm #1~#2 .\par } l.1135 \As39, 58, 60\ETs61.
What this shows is that the
\ETs macro is only being read as far as the
\E part. Why does this happen, and why doesn't it happen with similarly named and used
Edit: I should add that the behaviour remains the same when adding spaces after the offending macro.