Sorry, I don't know the name of this typographic effect, it's been years since I read The Elements of Typographic Style. This is more than kerning. I'm referring to the "tail" of the N going under the following letters. Or is it a particular font with this feature?

alt text

The image is from page 2 of http://www.tsengbooks.com/images/6176s.pdf

I'll update the question if I learn the proper typographical term.

Thank you.

Update: as Lev Bishop indicated, the effect is called swash (wikipedia)


It's a feature of the font. You can see the same thing with the Q in the 'swash' style of Minion Pro. Eg.,

  • 3
    You don't need any special engine. As I showed above, the MinionPro package sets up a swash style (accessed by \textsw{}) for the MinionPro fonts, even with latex or pdflatex. – Lev Bishop Aug 8 '10 at 14:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.