The symbol I'm looking for appears in maths when the closure of an open set is contained in a bigger set; it's like two \subset, but doesn't look like \Subset. It's similar to \ll. How can I typeset that symbol?

Some code showing the different symbols discussed above:


\string\subset  & $\subset$ \\
\string\Subset  & $\Subset$ \\
\string\ll          & $\ll$ \\

enter image description here

  • 2
    I'd say $A\subset\subset B$ – egreg Nov 28 '13 at 18:08

I've seen the notation used in Rudin's book “Real and complex analysis”. Perhaps, simply doubling \subset is too crude. Here's a possible solution, top line is \subset\subset, bottom line \ssubset defined with some backspace between the two.


$A\subset\subset B$

$A\ssubset B$

enter image description here


If you want to be quite similar to \ll, then you can use this symbol, which overlaps the two \subsets. It should work properly in all sizes:

enter image description here





  A\ssubset B_{A\ssubset B_{A\ssubset B}}


In the above code I wrote it on several lines to show a bit what's going on. The one-liner works as well of course:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.