I want to make a shortcut for the \mathbb font (or other fonts) in LyX.
How can I do it?

  • 2
    A tip: You can use backticks ` to mark your inline code as I did in my edit.
    – jub0bs
    Dec 8, 2013 at 17:36
  • @Jubobs - Thank you! Hope someone will answer!
    – heblyx
    Dec 8, 2013 at 17:42
  • 1
    i'm not sure exactly what you want. many authors define commands for single letters in particular fonts, for example, a blackboard bold R might be defined as \newcommand{\bbR}{\mathbb{R}}, or for a fraktur M \newcommand{\frM}{\mathfrak{M}}. this, of course, is not specific to lyx. Dec 8, 2013 at 18:48
  • 2
    Are you talking about "keyboard shortcuts"? Dec 8, 2013 at 19:40
  • 3
    You add new shortcuts as described in tex.stackexchange.com/questions/39779/…. The function you need is math-insert \mathbb. Dec 8, 2013 at 20:39

2 Answers 2


New shortcuts are added under Tools --> Preferences --> Editing --> Shortcuts, for details see Shortcuts for Lemma, Claim, Theorem etc. The function you need for the blackboard font is

math-insert \mathbb

The other fonts in the list (under the font button on the math toolbar) has similar functions, just replace \mathbb with the appropriate macro, e.g. math-insert \mathcal.


Alternatively, you could go to [User]/AppData/Roaming/LyX[version]/bind (on Mac or Linux the path would differ), open user.bind with a text editor and insert the following line:

\bind "M-k b" "command-sequence math-insert `\\mathbb`;"

Which would insert a \\mathbb environment on pressing alt+k b.

You could also use

\bind "M-k r" "command-sequence math-insert \\mathbb R; char-right"
\bind "M-k z" "command-sequence math-insert \\mathbb Z; char-right"

Which would insert \\mathbb{R} and \\mathbb{Z}, respectively, and move your pointer out of \\mathbb environment.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .